Wednesday, November 5, 2008

12 years between wins is too long


I just realized that it has been 12 years since the last time my guy won the presidential election. I can't say it's been worth the wait yet - the last 8 years have done an amazing amount of damage to this country and it's going to take a lot of work to fix it - but President elect Obama is a great prize for waiting that long.

Now look at the low-tech map above (a picture of my SJ Mercury). There is a LOT of red. Look for the big cities - they are almost all blue. Look at Florida or Ohio. President elect Obama won both of those yet the states look extremely red.

This amazes me - why is it so consistent that big city people think one way and small town people think another? Money? Education? Corrupt morals? Starbucks? This can't sit well with the small town people. I guess they are used to it, but still. 

In any case, the right guy won this time and I am thrilled. Maybe I should send a card to small town America. Or just make it a point to visit it more often. Maybe without the Obama 08 sticker though.

That's it - move along...

3 comments:

DAK said...

I saw that map too. It's a bit stunning to realize the divide between city and countryside, not only here but in every city in the world. Culture does not spread in both directions, it appears, nor education.

mary ann said...

Yes, it's strange, and yet there are places like Bisbee, AZ that attract
people who think like we do, smart people I mean. Now who's divisive?

notthatlucas said...

If you like this sort of thing, visit:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/

There are some real interesting maps there.