Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wednesday grab bag


Three quick things.
- - - - - -
There is no way I expected to ever see what shows in that picture. Gas at less than $2 a gallon. I've heard there are places around where you can get it for less than $1.90 and quite a bit less if you leave the Bay Area.

The interesting thing will be how fast people start dumping their Prius and Smart cars and such and buying back their Hummers and Suburbans. 

I had expected gas to get a bit below $3 a gallon, but not to fall this far. I'm kind of torn about this: on the one hand times are tough and people need one less thing gouging them, but on the other hand the costly gas forced people to think a bit greener. I guess cheap gas is a good thing, but hopefully people won't forget how much it used to be and will continue to conserve.

But I'm not holding my breath.
- - - - - - - 
If inventing a device for shooting hot dogs into the crowd at a baseball game interests you, click this link. There is a video that shows a bit about how they created this device for the Phillie Phanatic to use. I'm not a huge fan of team mascots, but he, along with the San Diego Chicken, can be extremely entertaining. Others are just annoying. But even the annoying ones become cool if they are shooting hot dogs into the stands.
- - - - - - - 
I've written before about how I don't really crave a window office, but I've ended up with them for my last two offices (here's my latest). In any case, a new group is moving into our building and they are covetous of our offices. So now we are shuffling offices and are losing our windows. 

Honestly, I don't mind losing the window - I am just lazy. I HATE packing up everything. I HATE that I will have to deal with moving the Circle Plant. I HATE that I will probably lose about three days of useful work to this. And I HATE that I suspect this will happen again in about a year, which is the average length of time people stay in their offices here. (In seven years I have had four offices in three buildings, but never changed my job. Amazingly, only once in all that time did I have to work in a cubical. Any kind of office is better than a cubicle.)

So I have a bunch of boxes to pack on Tuesday.

Or maybe not. 

Now there is word that maybe we won't have to move. Or maybe we won't move as soon as we were told. 

Heavy sigh...

That's it - move along...

2 comments:

mary ann said...

Is that office moving part of the company culture? I would hate it too! I have been cleaning out my desk at work and have come upon the strangest things that I thought were important at some time. It's unnerving.

notthatlucas said...

The Company always uses the same outside company to handle all the moves. You always see their trucks somewhere around the campus. Always. A co-worker once wrote this really funny bit about how the company's real goal was to support this moving company.