Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fitness blues

The Fitness Center where I work has two workout rooms in addition to the main areas with the weights and assorted fancy machines (each with their own TV, naturally). One of the workout rooms is pretty big, and the other is smaller, and both have a mirrored front wall and sound systems that can be obnoxiously loud (and neither has ever played a country song, it's safe to say).

For the last three years I have been going to the Basic Training class, run by the fun Larual (not her real name, but really close to being a palindrome, making it nearly immune to my clever secret code). The class is intended to introduce you to basic workout techniques just to get you started. I may be a slow learner, but I don't think that's why I'm still taking the class - there are several of us who have been regulars at the class for years.

But not enough of us.

We were banished from the small room due to low attendance (we now roam the main areas, kind of like a gang of harmless, somewhat pudgy middle-aged people), plus they wanted to add a new hip-hop class. We scoffed, betting that nobody would come to a stupid old hip-hop class and that we would get our room back soon. 

We seem to have been wrong. That class has been so popular it has been moved into the big room, and the step class that was in the big room, which has been averaging about 3 people, has been moved to the small room. 

(Side note - both classes are almost exclusively female. I did notice last night that there was one guy in the hip-hop class, and he really seemed to be enjoying himself among all the women. I was the only guy in a high school typing class, so I know how much fun that sort of situation can be. I just hope he's in good shape.)

The step class was not amused at being demoted, and there must have been some email campaigning going on since there were at least 15 people that showed up last night, easily filling the small room.

So there's about to be a battle between the step and hip-hop people, and with both being in good shape, it could take a while. 

We should hide the sound systems while we can.

That's it - move along...

3 comments:

DAK said...

I'm not sure I know what a step class is (do you, like, take a step here and a step there?) but I know that one class of nonstop hip hop would put me on the I.R. for ten years. Do you get to go to these classes during working hours? Is this called 'working?'

mary ann said...

I agree with you about Facebook ~ my boss from about 12 years ago just tracked me down. But I have wasted one or two minutes on there. The
IDT(I = Intriguing)is a beauty. Do you workout before or after work? Or, as DAK hinted, during?

notthatlucas said...

DAK - you are right about the step class. There is a little step that you spend 20 minutes or so stepping up on then back off. It gets a bit redundant.

The hip-hop class does moves that are not nearly in my sphere of possibility. The class had nothing but young, hip, skinny people.

DAK and MA - I have taken classes during lunch, but most of mine have been after work. There are quite a few people who do consider time at the fitness center the same as time at work. They have pretty loose bosses I suspect.