Saturday, July 2, 2011

A mud free BBQ

Mrs Notthat decided to have a BBQ for a family visiting from somewhere in the East Bay (maybe Reno). About 20 others were also invited. 

Here is one of my favorite pictures of part of that family:


Yes - they are also trail runners and they also took on Mt Diablo this spring. It was at this race, sort of, that we met them. (Actually, Weird Haired Mom met them at an aid station, then we noticed each others blog, and then we finally formerly met at Brazen Wildcat.) They are awesome (obviously).

BBQ day was nothing like that rainy day back in March, and I don't think anyone was bitter about that.


Their son Bubba had a great time wrestling this beast around the backyard. (When I first saw this picture, I thought this was grandboy Riley.)


The girl on the left is one of their daughters (Sadly, I don't know which one is which, so I will call all of them Bubba. I expect to get kicked in the shins for this the next time I see them at a trail race.)


The guy in the yellow shirt is Mr Bubba (who looks WAY more like a runner than I likely ever will). I grilled about 20 pounds of a variety of meat, including a few slabs of salmon that ended up being a small step away from jerky. Fortunately, everyone was hungry, so it all got eaten.


And finally, a cleaned up Mrs Bubba.


The shade was very popular.


Well, OK - there are always one or two exceptions that like sitting in the sun.


I spent a fair amount of time trying to make the various kids sick by spinning them on this swing. I was able to make a few of them turn green, but (fortunately) failed at getting to find out what they had just eaten.


The Big Wind (AKA Irbua - not her real name) was also here with her family, including their new almost dog, who proved to be VERY popular.


Yes, as warm as it was, some still had to have their coffee.

It was a great BBQ, with LOTS of great side dishes brought in to go with the meat. The weather was perfect and the laughs were flowing freely.

In the end, everyone seemed to have a great time. Even if there wasn't any mud to stomp in.

That's it - move along...

3 comments:

mary ann said...

I thought that was grandboy Riley too. Lovely to see sunshine and happy people seeking shade. I too must have coffee on a hot day.

Beth said...

We had a wonderful time! The kids slept well that evening, and you know I loved that salmon!

Mrs. Notthat said...

A great time was had by all and the meat was fantastic. Actually all the food was! Thanks for being so supportive of my shenanigans!