Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Some sand and pavement, but oh the views!

Back in 2011, Mrs Notthat and I ran the Coastal San Francisco Half Marathon (this was pre-Zoom) and loved it - the trails were interesting and the views outstanding. We wanted to run it again but conflicts kept coming up. Until this year.

It's now a Zoom race, but is still basically the same, although the start has been improved a bit.

There was trail construction going on that forced a small change to the course and routed us through the Golden Gate Bridge visitor center. Because of that, the race had to start at 7:05 so that we would not be bothering the tourists there after 10AM. This meant that everyone had to get up a bit earlier and many arrived while it was still dark.

The start line is about a quarter mile from the finish line, and since there were no taxis around, Mrs Notthat and I strolled out there just in time for the start.

Mr Coastal Zoom reiterating that we had to do two laps around the lagoon, and that five was way too many.
What I had forgotten about this race until I looked at my old race report is that it originally had you start by running away from the bridge for a bit, then turnaround and come back. That was a bit awkward since we would end up passing through the 10K start area which could cause potential congestion.

The modern version of this race now starts with two laps around the Crissy Field Lagoon (about one mile per lap). Getting loopy isn't my favorite thing, but it was a much better option than the old way of doing this.

This is looking back across the lagoon. If you have good eyes you can see runners that are WAY ahead of me.
Toddler Coastal trying to talk me into just sticking to the lagoon. 
One bonus for doing these loops was that they had a small aid station set up at what would be the finish area so you could rehydrate a bit, or more usefully, dump some jackets and such that you no longer needed now that you were warmed up.

After the two laps we were set free on the real course, headed towards the Golden Gate Bridge and past these interesting sculpture things by Mark Di Suvero (not his real… oh wait - that really is his real name!).

After climbing a small hill, we came to the construction area. And turned left to avoid it.

The race's detour took us up to bridge level, where we looped through the visitor center (that I didn't even know existed), waved at a few cars, took a few pictures, then headed back down to go under the bridge.

Passing under the bridge is an odd thrill - locals probably do this multiple times a week, but for me, this was only the second time in four years I have done this, so I took a lot of pictures. Even proper tourists told me I was dawdling too long.

The course, after the two lagoon laps (which only the Half runners had to do), is an out-and-back. This meant I would get to see all the other runners as they headed back. This guy, Saerdna (not his real name), won the 10K.

I hoped to make it to the 10K turnaround before the Half leader passed me on his way back, but I wasn't even close to there when Wehtam (not his real name, and from the UK!) blew past me.

One thing that I remembered from all those years ago was the deep sand you had to plod through to get to the first aid station. The sand was a bit damp which helped, but it was still challenging.

Htenaj (not her real name), redefining "easy open package." There may have been some bad words uttered.
The first aid station (mile 5.4 for the Half runners) was at Baker Beach. It was also the 10K turnaround point.

After leaving the aid station, we had a bit more sand and then were spit out in a residential area. This bit of the course is not my favorite, but does have a bit of charm in that, well, there is no sand. Going this direction, you are still going uphill, although it's a pretty mild climb.

After wandering around a bit through the neighborhood, we headed back to the trails and entered the Land's End area.

This area has stunning views and is a lot of fun. It's also when I started seeing some of the runners that I knew, as they had already hit the turnaround and were headed back.

The first I saw was Trebron (not his real name). Just as he was going past I realized who he was, and when I turned around, he stopped for this picture. (I hope I didn't cost him an age group award.)

Next I saw Enidualc (not her real name) dancing down the hill.

And then Nairb (not his real name either). There was one more person I was looking for, and the longer it took before I saw her, the smaller her lead was on me.

About 0.4 miles ahead of me, I finally saw Mrs Notthat. There was no way I was going to catch her, but I could try to keep her lead from growing too much.

That's the Cliff House restaurant off in the distance.
Not long after going past her I could see the Half turnaround aid station (mile 7.7) near the Sutro Baths. (A nice change is that we were not routed down to the beach and forced to climb back up to the aid station as happened the last time I ran this.)

Those are the steps we had to climb up to get to this aid station previously. The view is amazing though.
Eventually I was done admiring the view and turned around to head back.

These steps were a lot more fun when I came down them a bit earlier.

These steps were a lot more fun now than they had been earlier.

I believe Htenaj is on the phone to whoever made that package she couldn't open on my first time through.
The residential bit went very well since it was downhill going this direction. And before I knew it I was back to this sand-infested aid station (about mile 10).

No toll for runners!
After that aid station, there was a bit of wandering around, a dash under the bridge, a blast through the visitor center, and it's all downhill from here.

It's funny how, after all the hills (and my whining about them), when I finally got to the flat bit just before the finish line, I really started to struggle.

Regardless, I made it to the finish line just a bit under three hours.

Mrs Notthat had finished about 11 minutes ahead of me and had already received her first place age group award! (She ended up beating one other runner in her age group.)

The thing was that there were a lot of Half runners, and almost all were faster than me. I knew I had no chance of an age group medal.

And then I heard my name called. I had forgotten that Coastal/Zoom will change from 10-year age group intervals to 5-year intervals when there are lots of runners. I ended up with a third place medal (out of three in my age group).

I'm trying real hard not to sweat on Mrs Notthat. And she's holding a foot thing that she chose for me as my prize in a random drawing.
The medals were great, and I loved having the option of an XXL shirt!
This race was a lot of fun. Yes, there is too much pavement and too much sand, but the rest of the trails easily made up for that. And then there are the views - they were stunning as usual.

(And I'm not going to admit that the early start actually turned out to be a good thing since it meant we had more of the day left when we got home. Like for lawn mowing.)

That's it - move along…

PS: You can see more of my pictures here.

PPS: This race happens again in May.


Norbert Leinfellner said...

Awesome report - thanks Nella!

Brian Latham said...

Love the report. Question though, the trail under the bridge, does it also go down to Fort Point or only under the bridge towards Baker Beach?

If back to Fort Point, I may be able to squeeze this into my lunch runs.

notthatlucas said...

Brian - I believe you can get to either place from this trail, although the current construction may limit your options. It would be amazing to be able to incorporate this into your lunch run!

mary ann said...

this is even better than last time, so glad you love MY city too and congrats again...